Cathie John

Journeybook Press
Page One
Page Two

Little Mexico
series (read
an excerpt)

Journals of Kate Cavanaugh
series (read
an excerpt)

Authors' Bios


E-mail to
Cathie & John

Where to Buy:
Independent Mystery Booksellers



[Chorus Girls]
Lovely Ladies of the Latin Quarter Bar

Reprinted from Associated Press Wire, Sept. 23, 1943

Newport, KY., Sept. 23. -- Charles Lester, an attorney assisting Attorney General Hubert Meredith in an investigation of alleged gambling in Newport and Campbell County, today announced he would subpoena 385 persons, including a number of officials of adjacent Kenton County, to testify at a hearing Monday for ninety-two persons cited after raids on night spots early Tuesday.

Lester said he wanted to hear from the Kenton officials because "they were at Beverly Hills (one of the spots raided) and saw the gambling and will so testify."

Sheriff Went "for Dinner"

However, a newspaper check failed to discover any official who said he would testify. Among those to be subpoenaed are Kenton Circuit Judge Rodney G. Bryson, Sheriff Gordon Jennings, former Sheriff Henry A. Berndt, Covington attorney James R. McGarry and Bert King, Covington Republican leader.

Sheriff Jennings said he was there "for dinner" several weeks ago and, when pressed if he had seen any gambling, repeated, "I was there for dinner." Berndt made a similar statement.

Judge Bryson said he had not been at Beverly Hills for more than a year, but saw no gambling when he was there.

"I can't recall the last time I was at Beverly Hills," said McGarry, "I had gone there to eat and see the floor show and saw no gambling."

Meanwhile, Sam Tucker, manager of Beverly Hills, said the alleged disappearance of forty-one slot machines from his club after the raid was as much a mystery to him as to County officials. Meredith telegraphed Tucker and Len Plummer, County chief of police, yesterday demanding their return.

Machines Just Vanish

Tucker said he was at the club until 9 a.m. Tuesday and added: "When Plummer left, I left. I don't know what happened after that."

He suggested the machines might have been hijacked from officers supposed to be guarding them.

"It could be," he said, "that the officials sent someone over to pick up the equipment. Maybe they got it, or maybe it was taken away from them after they left the club."

He said there was no evidence that the club had been broken into to remove the machines.

Tucker also said he never received Meredith's telegram, which threatened a contempt-of-court action if the machines were not returned.

"I don't know anything about the telegram," he said, "and I'm not worrying about it. Business has been very good since the raid. We had about 600 persons there last night."


Page One   -   Page Two


All material on this site is © 2000-04 by John & Cathie Celestri.